Dear Partners and MISHPOCHAH,
Please be blessed as you read the Taught Word from one of Our Visiting Professor, Evangelist Brenda Glover!
Taught Word by Visiting Professor of YaQar International Biblical University
Relax, Release, Receive
Embracing a Mary and Martha spirit
Luke 10:38-42; John 11:1-44; John 12:1-11
In a world that is now filled with so many distractions, it is important to focus on the Lord and really bring our spirit-man into oneness with Him. As we study the lives of Mary and Martha, we are forced to take a closer look at ourselves to see where we are when it comes to our relationship, and our fellowship with the Lord. In doing so, not only will we benefit by gaining a more intimate and greater knowledge of Holy Spirit, but we will also gain a closer knowledge of who we are in Him.
Mary and Martha are two sisters from the town of Bethany, a city located about two miles from Jerusalem. They are best known for being sisters of Lazarus, a dear friend of Yeshua (Jesus). Many relate these sisters to the story found in Luke 10:38-42, but as we look closer, we find this family engaged in the life of Yeshua (Jesus) on several occasions:
(A) Mary is known as the sister who sat at the feet of Yeshua (Jesus), while Martha went about the business of preparing the meal for Jesus and the disciples. As we take a closer look at the lives of these two sisters, we will find that it is much more to learn from them. We also will gain principles concerning growing in relationship/fellowship with Yeshua (Jesus), the benefits of listening to His Word, then becoming an active doer of His Word.
(B) Mary and Martha interact with Yeshua (Jesus):
1. Yeshua (Jesus) and the disciples visited their home in Bethany- Luke 10:38-42
2. Yeshua( Jesus) meets Martha at the tomb of Lazarus- John 11:1-44
3. Mary anoints Yeshua (Jesus) with costly fragrant oil- Matt. 26:7-13; Mark 14:3; John 12:3-8
(C) Mary and Martha: Two different examples of discipleship
A. Learning to Listen to the Word of the Lord
1. Their different attitudes/dispositions - Martha, though she loved the Lord and reverenced Him, she was one who thought that discipleship was in serving or physically doing. Mary was a worshipper. She understood the importance of sitting at the feet of Jesus, submitting to His teachings. It is important to realize that neither of the approaches are wrong. In fact, both are necessary. James 2:14-26 explains the importance of both faith and works in discipleship.
2. Their Postures- Mary worshipped at His feet, while Martha worshipped on her feet. Martha allowed distractions to get in the way of what is most important.One might even question her motives.
3. Their relevance- As disciples, we must first humbly submit ourselves in prayer, praise, and worship. Then we will be able to stand and serve in building the Kingdom of GOD.
A. Yeshua's (Jesus) response to Mary's attitude- Yeshua (Jesus) explained to Martha, " you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
B. What does it mean to "embrace a Mary and Martha spirit? To embrace a Mary and Martha spirit is to become a true disciple of Christ. One will hold precious the gift of worship, becoming an avid student of His Word, and ultimately, a servant of the Most High. In embracing the spirit of Mary and Martha, our hearts will behold all that is needed to be the kind of disciples needed for this time.
C. Ask yourself, "what should I gain from studying the attributes of Mary and Martha?"
Evangelist Brenda Glover
YaQar International Biblical University